Social sector organizations don’t always have the luxury to step away from day-to-day operations to do strategic planning. But, taking the time to think through a clear strategy is even more critical when you have fewer resources and more demands – especially in the current volatile environment.
- Maximize your resources: Developing a strategy helps you focus on efforts that will be most efficient and effective in reaching your goals given your available resources, so you don’t spend time and energy on activities with lesser impact.
- Create a shared vision and strategy: The strategic planning process ensures that everyone involved is on the same page and agrees on the where the organization is headed and it’s priorities.
- Provide clear direction: Creating a strategic plan provides clear direction for managers and staff, so they understand the goals, activities, and priorities for the organization.
- Stay on Track: Having a written plan also helps keep everyone on track and focused on moving forward and making progress toward set goals.
- Get more funding: Strategic planning helps you reach your goals, and proven success is critical for fundraising. Having a strategic plan can also demonstrate to funders that you have a roadmap for success, making them more likely to invest.
Now that you understand the value, the next step is to determine whether your organization is ready to start the process.
- Do you have buy in from your senior leadership? Are they committed to participating in the process, supporting staff and stakeholder engagement, and implementing the plan?
- Do your staff and stakeholders have the time to commit to the process?
- Have you budgeted funds?
- Has a team been identified to lead the process?
The strategic planning process can take as much or as little time as you can – or want – to spend. If your organization is looking to make a significant strategic shift, it will take more time and resources to carefully think through how to move in a new direction.
Contact Aparna@devipartners.com to learn more about our approach and how we can design and facilitate a process that is the right fit for your organization.